If you are considering undertaking a Master’s in Leadership and Management degree course, but are unsure of what exactly it entails and whether or not it is right for you and your career aspirations in the tech industry, then keep reading to find out everything you need to know about this further education option.
From what qualifications you need to apply, to what soft skills are desirable, to what you can expect to earn in the future after you qualify, all of the above and more are explained below.
You never know, if you do complete your Master’s in Leadership, you could become the next Tim Cook or Sheryl Sandberg.
What qualification do I need to apply for a Master’s in Leadership?
In order to apply for a Master’s in Leadership, you need:
- A bachelor’s degree
- 5 years of relevant work experience (in any industry including tech)
- Attainment of the Associate Graduate Certificate of Leadership
Although, some universities or colleges may accept applicants without a bachelor’s degree if they have sufficient work experience.
What skills are preferred for applicants wanting to pursue a Master’s in Leadership?
When studying for a Master’s in Leadership, you will learn how to effectively apply your leadership skills to the current workplace. That being said, it is beneficial if you already have a strong skill-set in place.
Key skills include:
- Strong leadership skills. This includes being passionate, a motivator, and having the ability to set targets and goals
- Excellent communication skills. You need to be able to constructively communicate between entry-level employees and higher management, as well as be able to converse with customers and investors.
- Effective interpersonal skills. You need to be able to foster positive relationships within the workplace to ensure that your team meets deadlines and sets targets. You also need to be able to show empathy and be able to take on board constructive criticism and employee feedback.
- Commercial awareness. Not only do you need to be able to lead your team, you also need to be aware of the current industry that you are working in. Any new trends or technologies that could benefit your company, for example.
Other desirable skills include:
- Good decision making
- Creative problem-solving
- Organizational skills
- Negotiation skills
- The ability to look at the bigger picture
- Being tech savvy
What can I expect to learn when studying a Master’s in Leadership?
A Master’s in Leadership is a great option, not only for those who strive to obtain a senior management or C-level Executive role, but also for any individual who would like to gain confidence in the workplace and inspire others to succeed to the very best of their abilities.
If you do choose to study a Master’s in Leadership online, you can expect to study the following:
- Core contemporary leadership challenges and how to overcome them
- Different leadership qualities and how to apply them to your workplace
- How to strengthen your leadership style
- How to influence and inspire others
- Current leadership trends
- Corporate social responsibility
- How to utilize modern technologies
You can also expect:
- To complete your degree within two years
- To have the opportunity to undertake flexible learning
- One-on-one support from highly skilled and experienced tutors
- To gain formal recognition in the workplace in a short period of time
- To strengthen your leadership style
- To be able to immediately apply techniques
Deakin online courses are ideal for those wanting to hone and improve upon their leadership skills, while still remaining in the workplace. You will be offered 100% flexibility and be able to complete your degree in full online, with no exams or tests to attend.
How will a Master’s in Leadership help me progress in my career?
Not only will a Master’s in Leadership help you progress in your current occupation as you will have obtained formal recognition of your senior management skills, but you will also have the option to fast track into many other highly desirable leadership careers.
Leadership careers you may want to consider include:
- Human Resources Manager
Median salary: $110, 120
Projected employment growth in next 10 years: 9%
Duties: Overseeing hiring process, strategic HR planning, serving as a connection between employees and upper management.
- Sales Manager
Median salary: $108,250
Projected employment growth in next 10 years: 7%
Duties: Recruiting and training new sales team members, directing the sales of goods and services, analyzing sales data.
- C-level Executive such as Chief Executive Officer or Chief Technology Officer
Median salary: $104,700 (average C-level Exec) or $242,929 (Chief Technology Officer)
Projected employment growth in next 10 years: 8%
Duties of CEO: Making corporate decisions, managing overall operations, communicating with the board of directors, meeting and exceeding business growth and performance goals.
Duties of CTO: Leading the technology department, making decisions on policies and procedures that use technology to enhance products or services.
- Training & Development Manager or Corporate Trainer
Median salary: $108,250
Projected employment growth in next 10 years: 10%
Duties: Overseeing training programs, budgets and staff, creating and selecting content for courses and materials for training.
- Health Services Manager
Median salary: $98,350
Projected employment growth in next 10 years: 20%
Duties: Improving efficiency and quality of healthcare services, recruiting and training staff, developing departmental goals and objectives, ensuring their facility is up to date with current laws and regulations.
Is a Master’s in Leadership the right choice for me?
If you are still unsure about whether you want to pursue an online Master’s in Leadership & Management degree to further your career, then there are a few key elements of your professional life that you need to evaluate.
Ask yourself the below questions.
Do you want to be recognized in the workplace for your leadership qualities?
Do you want to have the opportunity to inspire and influence others in the tech world?
Do you want to be able to progress in your current career?
Do you want to become more confident in your abilities?
And finally, do you want to achieve all of the above without having to jeopardize your current position or your family commitments?
If you answered yes to the above, then undertaking a Master’s in Leadership online is definitely the right decision for you, and it’s time you got started with your journey into a more fulfilling and inspiring career future.