J.A.R.V.I.S. or Just A Rather Very Intelligent System is Tony Stark’s artificially intelligent computer. Microsoft is working on a similar system which will be available as a smartphone application.
Digital assistant determines the user’s mental or emotional state. Digital assistant monitors user’s behavior and the environment to determine user’s mental state. For example, a user might be angry if there is a relatively high switching frequency between applications. If a user is spending a long time on FACEBOOK, this may indicate that the user is bored.
On the other hand, if the user is spending a long time on e-mails, this may indicate that the user is extremely focused. Music being played on the device is analyzed to determine user’s emotional state.
Many such parameters are used to determine a holistic view of user’s mental state:
1. Speed of movement of a user
2. Exposure to Light.
4. Air Pressure
5. Weather Conditions, Traffic Conditions, Pollution Levels, and Allergen Levels
6. Activity Level of User
7. Heart Rate, Heart Rate Variability and Electrodermal Activity
8. Electrocardiogram (ECG) and Electroencephalogram (EEG) Data
9. Device/Network Connection Information
10. Battery/Charging Information
11. Proximity to Other People or Objects
12. Explicitly-Provided User Input about Mental or Emotional State
Based on determined emotional state, the assistant assists the user.
Lets see how this works.
A user types a text on his phone
1. The digital personal assistant determines that the user is angry from various parameters. The assistant displays a message, that causes the user to reconsider sending what may be an inappropriate message to his boss. The user may revise the message after viewing the warning message. The assistant then indicates to the user that the revised message is suitable for sending.
2. Some people tend to engage in harmful activities as a coping mechanism when under stress.
For example, some people end up shopping unnecessarily or even gambling. When the assistant determines such a situation, it generates warning messages when the user tries to shop online.
Publication number: US 20160063874
Patent Title: EMOTIONALLY INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS
Publication date: 3 Mar 2016
Filing date: 28 Aug 2014
Inventors: Mary P. Czerwinski; Melissa N. Lim; Ran Gilad-Bachrach; Ivan Tashev; Margaret Mitchell; MariaElaina Martinelli; William B. Dolan;
Applicant: Microsoft Corporation